Sunday, August 7, 2016

Sunday cat selfies: Preparing for Popoki's catio

Popoki the cat in her selfie

Today is Popoki's day to pose for pretty photos for the Sunday cat selfies series. And as I was pulling these photos together, I thought of something. In a week or two, Popoki's photos might look very different. Why? Because we're planning to build her a catio, starting this week.

Right now, Popoki poses nicely in front of open windows. But when that catio is done, she'll have a completely safe and sunny outdoor space to hang out in. And I just know that most of the photos I'll take of her when construction is complete will be in that catio. I know she won't want to leave it.

Popoki the cat looks a little sad

For those of you unfamiliar with Popoki's story, I brought her home about a year ago from Willamette Humane Society. She had lived with another family prior to entering the shelter system, and that family chose to have her declawed in front. They did that surgery when Popoki was just 6 months old. I'm not certain, but I suspect that surgery is part of what makes her leery of other cats. She can't defend herself. And I know that lack of claws bothers her, because it limits or eliminates her ability to go outside.

I have successfully leash trained Popoki, and she does hang out with me and the dogs and my husband in the evenings. She loves that time. But she also spends at least some part of most days gazing out the window and wishing she could go out there. Sometimes, she even tries to sneak out.

A catio should help with that. At least, that's my hope.

This is the construction site as it looks now. This is the front of my writing studio, and as you can see, there's a little lip of a deck and a little overhang with a light. The doors open inward. That tiny slip of a porch will be the catio.

The front of my writing studio

It gets quite a bit of sun in the afternoons, which makes it a lovely spot on a crisp fall day. And it provides a nice view of trees, birds, foot traffic and cars driving by. I'll need to move those bird feeders and plants, but Popoki will have plenty to keep her mind occupied.

I will also enjoy a bit of cross breeze. This building has a lot of windows, and it can get a little warm. I'm hoping a catio will help me to reduce my use of air conditioning.

So construction starts this week, and I'm not quite sure how long that will take, but the goal is to have a fully functional structure by September first. I'll keep you posted!

Popoki the cat in the windowsill

Thanks, as always to Kitties Blue at The Cat On My Head, the hosts of the hop. We always love to read the blogs, see the snaps and keep up with our online friends. The hop makes it easy!



Have you joined yes? You should! Love to see you. And do leave me a comment before you go. I love to get good notes.

And dog people: Have you entered our dog cookie giveaway yet? It ends on Thursday, and I'd love to get more entries. Even if you don't have dogs, do enter! If you win, you could donate your loot and make shelter dogs happy. Don't wait!

18 comments:

  1. How exciting to have a catio! Looking forward to the catio selfies. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too bad she was declawed, but she has a great life now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry that Pookie had such a reaction to her declawing. I am sure her catio will help make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Popoki's stunning selfie. Dad has promised us a catio as soon as we move.
    Purrs
    Timmy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow....a catio! We are sooo jealous!!!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  6. That will make a lovely place for her to safely enjoy the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see your catio!!! I would love to build one for Mudpie but am a bit nervous to take the leap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to share building plans. Maybe you'll get inspired!

      Delete
  8. How exciting! We bet Popoki will love her catio. Thank you for loving her so much, and for helping her safely experience the outdoors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catio's are awesome things, brilliant for those, like Popoki, who need a little extra. Look forwards to seeing the completed pictures. purrs ERin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a lucky kitty you are Popoki. You'll be smiling all the time once you have your catio. So few of us kitties have one, and we can tell you ours is meowvolous! We'll be so excited to see your catio when it is finished with you on it enjoying the outdoors safely. Thanks for hopping and being with us as we close out year two. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. We bet she will love her catio! How exciting! We look forward to seeing the end result :)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look amazing, Popoki and we are so happy that you found a good family. When we read your story, we have a lump in our throat, but we love to read about you are walking with your siblings on a leash. That is so COOL! Pawkisses for a Happy Day :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to focus on the happy parts of her life, but yes. That declawing issue is hard for her to overcome. I think it's hard for a lot of cats. If I can shine a little light on that and keep even one more cat from getting mangled, I'll consider it a job well done!

      Delete
  13. Mee-you Popoki what golden eyes you have!!! Yur adoorabull....
    Oh where are mee manners??? Mee iss Purrince Siddhartha Henry an mee has mee own bloggie all so. Thee katio soundss like it will bee purrfect fur you! LadyMum wood have one built fur me butt wee live inn Housin an they will not let her....so mee makess due inn mee Condo....
    ***paw patsss*** Siddhartha Henry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Popoki, how lucky you are to get a catio! But not so lucky about the declawing!! that sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We agree. I absolutely hate the practice.

      Delete
  15. So sad that she ended up front declawed by her previous family, but it touched me so that you want to give Popoki the best to make her comfortable. I can guarantee that she is going to thrive in her catio. I am really excited now to see pics once the catio is ready. Xxx

    ReplyDelete