Monday, September 19, 2016

Bogus dog quiz alert: Your dog does love you

Liam the pug on his bed

Like most dog-obsessed people, I can't resist reading articles that are designed to give me more insight into my dog's likes, dislikes and overall preferences. Some people collect stamps. I collect dog-related articles.

Anyway, I stumbled across a clever little quiz in Good Housekeeping last week (which the editors conveniently neglected to put online, so I can't link to it), and I was prepared to be entertained. Instead, I got a little mad.

The quiz is designed to help you understand whether or not your dog has a strong bond with you. There are three key signs that tell you if your bond is strong. Here they are:
  1. Your dog looks where you are pointing when you point (not at your finger).
  2. Your dog yawns when you yawn.
  3. Your dog stares at you for no reason.
Liam the pug has the staring thing down. He looks at me like this most of the day, every day.

Liam the pug watches his human

But look at where I'm pointing? Hell, no. That might mean he'll miss out on food I might have in my pointing hand. And yawn when I yawn? Forget it. He yawns when he's tired.

So what does Good Housekeeping say about that? The writer says that my low score means that I have a low bond with my dog and that I should do more to make him love me, like schedule more time together.

People: This is shaming, and I don't like it.

Your dog loves you, no matter what a quiz might say and no matter how well you score on tests like this. If your dog loves you, your dog trusts you and wants to be with you and his happy to see you. Yawning and pointing have nothing to do with it.

What do you think about this quiz? Is the author on track or way off base? Leave me a note in the comments and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds pretty bogus to me! My dogs follow me wherever I go, so that tells me what I need to know.
    I just tried it with Luke - he didn't care that I yawned and when I pointed somewhere he WENT there...LOL (he's been trained to do that some). Usually when they're looking at me, it's because they want something!

    ReplyDelete