Sunday, September 25, 2016

Sunday cat selfie: Kittens grow so fast!

Fergus the kitten on his chair

Fergus the Siamese kitten (or ragdoll kitten? or Birman kitten? still not sure) just hit the 6-month mark. And he is really growing into his smouldering good looks. Just this week, he developed black eyeliner around those pretty blue eyes of his, and his face and ears get darker each day, while his belly and back remain a pretty cream color.

He also seems just absolutely huge to me. He rarely sits still long enough to be weighed (we put him on the scale and he jumps right off), but he is as tall as Sinead the Boston terrier. Granted, she is an extraordinarily small dog. But there was a time in the not-so-distant past when he was the smaller of the two. I even have photographic proof.

Sinead the Boston terrier and Fergus the kitten

Sinead didn't like having kittens around, as you can see. But I digress.

All of that growing Fergus is doing takes a lot of energy. And as a result, Fergus does a whole lot of sleeping. He pauses in his nap habits for food and play and cuddles. But he spends most of his time crashed out just like this.

Fergus the cat asleep on his chair

Case in point: My community had an epic thunderstorm this week that shook the windows, bounced our dishes and knocked out power for 12 hours. Fergus slept through the entire thing. He can hear, mind you. But when he is asleep, he is asleep.

Fergus the kitten asleep

So on that note, we'll leave him to his naps.

And I'd like to pause and thank everyone who shared Panda's story last week. And I'd also like to thank everyone who reached out to me for updates. I've been a little silent about the whole thing, mainly because I have very bad news.

Panda the foster cat

After Panda's recheck and bloodwork, he went downhill. His eyes, his gums and the inside of his ears turned a bright shade of yellow. He started foaming at the mouth due to nausea. And then he started looking for places to hide. I found him deep in the closet one night when I went looking for him. He didn't want us to touch him or pet him. He wanted to go.

So my husband took him to the shelter, and we let him go. I'm happy he spent the last few days of his life in a real home with me, and I will always consider him a member of the menagerie. But I am taking this loss very, very hard. And it's prompting a few changes I'll discuss a little later this week. I've discovered compassion fatigue is real. And I have a bad case.

Anyway.

Thanks as always to the hosts at The Cat On My Head for hosting this hop. It's one of my favorites out there. I've met so many wonderful friends through this hop, and it's one I never miss.



Have you joined yet? You should.

Please leave me a comment too, so I'll know you were here!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Fergus really is getting bigger! Amazing that he's as big as Sinead now. :)

    We are so sorry that Panda had to go to the Bridge. But we are grateful that he knew love in the days he was with you. Please, please do what you need to do to take care of YOU, Jean. That is the most important thing. Gentle hugs and purrs coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about Panda ... his story is heartbreaking. We're sending you all our love and healing wishes!
    ps - Fergus sure is a handsome boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Momma and Bear, I am very sorry to hear of your loss, it is a very fatiguing situation, and I offer our best wishes to you all. Fergus sure has grown and his looks with him. purrs ERin

    ReplyDelete
  4. The loss of Panda is very sad. You showed him what love was in his last days and then helped him find peace.
    That is a lovely sleepy selfie from Fergus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about Panda. It is a blessing he was surrounded by love at the end. May be all be so lucky.
    We lived with a terminally ill dog for 11 months. I didn't realize the fatigue until he was gone. Please take care of yourself.
    Fergus is beautiful and so big!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you lost your Panda, that must be devastating after you were hoping he would improve. Sending big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm stunned and so very sad to hear about Panda. I met him, petted him. He was always eager to meet and greet. He was truly sweet. I so wished I could have taken him home too along with his 3 shelter mates. My husband and I were actually talking about it if Panda began to improve. It is so heartbreaking. Thank you so much for giving Panda a home and love. Thank you for all you do for these beautiful animals and for being a guardian to them.

    ReplyDelete