Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Boston terriers need winter sweaters!

Sinead the Boston terrier in her sweater

What do Boston terriers and convection ovens have in common? They both rely on the movement of air over something moist in order to generate heat. In Sinead's case, it's a flaw in her heating system. Since her muzzle is very short when compared to another dog breed like a collie, she has a short amount of time to pull in and heat air through her nasal passages before it hits her lungs. As a result, she gets cold. A lot.

The solution? Sweaters. A well-made sweater can help her to trap in the heat her blood makes as it moves through her body. And sweaters that wrap tight around her middle can concentrate that heat where it's needed: around her vital organs.

Sinead looking proud in her sweater

Now, I know a lot of people think it's somehow cruel to dress a dog in anything that even slightly resembles clothing. These people leave me comments on the blog from time to time suggesting that I am somehow using Sinead as a substitute for a human child, and that I am torturing her by dressing her. (WTH?)

But seriously. A sweater is a necessity for her. I don't dress her in sweaters because I get some kind of sick pleasure out of it. I dress her in sweaters because she needs them.

And this year, she has a particularly lovely sweater to wear, made by hand by my sister. She's an awfully talented knitter, and I think she did a lovely job here, don't you?

Leave me a note and tell me what you think.

And this is a blog hop! Be sure to visit the other blogs in the hop and say hello. You'll be glad you did.

13 comments:

  1. What talent your sister has, that is a beautiful sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sweater! I didn't know that about dogs with short muzzles not being able to warm the air. Interesting!

    And I think it's terrible people sometimes leave snotty comments like that on your blog. People can be such know-it-all jerks sometimes, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sinead's sweater! I think it's both fashionable and functional. I also think senior dogs need an extra layer and our old doxie lives in sweaters all winter. Plus our weather has turned!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you happen to have one of these in human-size medium? Haha! I just love the design and colors of Sinead's sweater. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love her sweater! Ruby wears sweaters and actually doesn't seem to mind them. We live in the Chicago area where it is not uncommon to be 20 below zero in the winter. Dogs need sweaters, coats and boots out here and luckily she doesn't seem to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sinead is adorable. And she is absolutely ROCKING that sweater. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know Boston terriers get that cold. Sinead looks very comfortable and adorable wearing her sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful, and Sinead looks like a supermodel. We hope it keeps her toasty warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pibbles need sweaters too! :-) Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely sweater. People usually don't give me grief. I guess Mr. N looks like he needs it.

    ReplyDelete