Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sleepy cat Sunday selfies

Maggie the cat asleep on her bed

Maggie the cat was my chosen feline for today's Sunday Selfie post, although she decided to take a low-key approach to her photography session. In fact, I couldn't get her to get up out of bed at all for her photo. So I took my photos as she drifted in and out of sleep.

Someone hoping to get photos of alert, awake cats would have do to a great deal of planning. After all, most experts suggest that cats sleep for about 12 to 16 hours per day. That long sleep time is something they inherit from their large-cat ancestors, who also sleep a great deal.

Big cats need to sleep so much because they expend so much energy when they find a prey animal, chase it, kill it and then eat it while defending the kill from other predator animals, including hyenas and vultures.

It's a lot of work!

Maggie the cat almost asleep in her bed

Maggie is no huntress, and she's never chased anything through the savanna. But, she also lives her life with a pesky kitten that seems to have an endless passion for play. Often, her naps are interrupted by a small cat that stalks her or pounces on her or chases her. She has to sleep when she can, so she can be ready to rumble when he wants to play again.

Lately, I've been working hard to take the pressure off of Maggie, so I've been playing a few games of my own with the little mister.

I recently got a big jackpot of toys (more on that on Tuesday, so check back!), and I've been devoting at least 30 minutes to playing with Fergus each day.

Think it's working?

Fergus the kitten asleep

Fergus has been sleeping harder these days, as he's pretty worn down by all of the play and stimulation. And he's been less inclined to start unprovoked play sessions with Maggie, because the two of them have been playing together in games I've been directing.

Fergus covers his eyes

Fergus would like the camera to go away so he can get back to his nap. I'll leave him to it.

Thanks as always to our hosts from The Cat on My Head. This is such a fun hop, and I look forward to it all week.


Before you visit the other blogs in the hop, leave me a comment, won't you? I'd love to know more about you and your cats.

14 comments:

  1. Mew mew mew Maggie soundss like shee needs lotss off rest to deel with Fergus...
    Shee iss such a purrty gurl...
    An LadyMum sayss Fergus iss hansum....shee LUVS Bluepoint Siamese'ss ;)
    Fankss fur stoppin bye our bloggie Lady Jean.
    ***nose rubsss*** Siddhartha Henry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie is so cute! Those are great pictures of her. Looks like playtime is working for little Fergus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet pics! Especially love that last one!

    Just once, I'd like to sleep 12-16 hours for a day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What adorable selfies!! We loved Fergus's "Go Away" selfie the best!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweet selfies!!! Sometimes I don't think Mudpie sleeps as much as most cats...she's too busy finding mischief!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Maggie you are so beautiful. WHAT great selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it's impossible to find a cat that isn't asleep around our house. We loved how your selfies included cute paws. Thanks for hopping today. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, so pretty. When it comes to cats, sometimes sleepy selfies are the best kinds of selfies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie has my sympathy, for sure. I bet with Fergus around she is doing as much as any huntress like me. Wonderful selfies of you both, heres hoping Fergus takes it easy on Sunday. purrs ERin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely sleepy Selfies of the both of you. After a long...or short play you have to get a good looong sleep...always!..MOL :D Pawkisses for a Happy Day :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are lovely sleepy selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Maggie. I know how annoying a little pipsqueak can be ... because I was one. You are a gorgeous girl, Maggie. And I have to admit the pipsqueak is adorable too - especially in the last picture! ~Bear Cat

    ReplyDelete
  13. You both look lovely. We appreciate the selfies of our friends a lot (and we are catching up from last week!)

    ReplyDelete