Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Blind cats love to hunt (and you can help)

Lucy the blind cat looking at the camera

Earlier this fall, I told you about a little commitment I'd made to spend time playing with my cats each and every day. The theory goes that cats that play more have less energy for things their parents don't want them to do (like fighting or yelling or breaking things), and I was all about making my sweeties happier and easier to live with.

But it occurs to me: When I wrote that post up (and you can see it here if you missed it), I talked a lot about young and healthy little Fergus. I started wondering if I was implying that Lucy doesn't play.

I feel very strongly that blind cats are very much like sighted cats, especially if they are born blind. These blind cats can do many of the things their sighted counterparts can do, and they should be encouraged to engage in behaviors most cats would love.

That includes play.

Blind cat swatting at toy

Lucy here has a very strong and finely tuned hunting instinct, and she also has a great deal of whimsy. Put those two things together, and you have a cat that rarely, if ever, says no to a good game of play. She enjoys putting her mind to good use, and she loves to interact with people.

If I find the right toy, Lucy will play with me for as long as 30 minutes without tiring of it. That makes her a much bigger fan of play that Fergus, who often tires after just 15 minutes of action. Lucy can keep going, and she seems to love it more.

Lucy the blind cat in pounce mode

She clearly gets into the game, too. Look at those fully extended paws and that stretched back! She's working hard.

And notice that she is tracking this toy beautifully. That's no accident.

I find that Lucy does best with toys that make some sort of swishing sound. Things with ribbons or feathers work very well, as she can track the sound of those bits moving against one another. Things with bells and crinkles aren't as successful, as I think Lucy finds those loud noises a little overwhelming. But fabric noises are wonderful.

 Lucy the blind cat with her toy

Lucy also likes her toys to stay far away from her body. She doesn't like games in which the toy gets close to her body. If I get the toy too close, she'll end things with a grooming session. But if I keep the toy moving and above her head, she's thrilled.

What do you think of Lucy's play skills? Leave me a note in the comments and let me know, won't you? Love to hear your thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. Well done, Lucy - you are a champion player.
    Purrs ... Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy's skills are impressive good for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely to see Lucy play. she is obviously enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purrfect catch, Lucy! I couldn't have done it better :) Thank you for your Birthday Wishes for Granny. They really made her day! Double Pawkiss for a wonderful day :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy looks like she's having so much fun in those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would think her whiskers, which our her guidance system, probably help with play as much as the swishing sounds. I love that she really gets into play time. What a sweetie. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete