Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Cat bed review: Cardboard teepee from Uncommon Goods

Popoki in her cardboard bed from Uncommon Goods

Every cat needs a place to get away from the hustle and bustle. But let's face it: Many cat beds are either too big or too brightly colored to fit in with standard home decor. Taking home these beds means proclaiming to everyone who comes over that YOU ARE A CAT PERSON, and that's not something I'm always comfortable with.

So I was thrilled when the marketing team at Uncommon Goods asked me to review this clever little cat bed shaped like a teepee. I thought I might like it, and the company agreed to send it to me in return for an honest review. Turns out, I know what I like quite well.

Popoki the cat in her cat bed

Like many of the things sold through Uncommon Goods, this bed is made of 100 percent recycled cardboard (about 1/3 of the entire product line sold by this company contains recycled or upcycled materials--see some examples of super-cute gifts they have for humans here).

It ships flat, and there is some assembly required. I am not terribly handy, so I'll admit that I got more than a little confused about how to put this together. But handy husband had it all sorted in about 20 minutes, ready for use. There are no staples or screws involved, and there's no glue required. The whole thing fits together with slots and notches and folding. Once it's put together, it's very solid.

Popoki standing in her cat bed

Popoki is a big cat, at about 10 pounds, and she fits in here quite nicely. The opening is generously sized, and she has plenty of room to stand up (as you can see).

Unlike a few other beds I've seen on the market, this product isn't lined with corrugated cardboard on the bottom. So this isn't a cat scratcher/bed combination. But, I rather like that. I find that scratchers just don't last all that long at my house. Cats aren't gentle with them. I'd rather get scratchers separately, so I can exchange them quickly when they're worn.

That said, this bed can be a little hard on the bones, as there's just a tiny strip of cardboard between the cat's body and the floor. I added a blanket to the bottom of the bed, and I would imagine that fleece would work just as well. It makes the bed just a touch more comfortable.

Popoki in her bed in the room

I've shopped through Uncommon Goods before, mainly for presents (super good ideas for gifts are here, if you're interested), and I've always been impressed with the qualify of the things I've ordered. Half of the things the company sells are made by hand, and most are just absolutely gorgeous and durable.

I am equally impressed with this little bed. It fits perfectly in the decor of my writing studio, providing Popoki with a little private getaway without interrupting the flow of the decor I'm using for this room. I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking for a new and cute option for their pets.

Disclaimer: I was sent a free cardboard cat teepee in return for this honest review. All of the opinions expressed here are my own, and I was not paid for this post. This disclosure comes in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments:

  1. That is a cute cat bed, and Popoki looks very content in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is cute....mom has visions now of kittens hanging off the top though :)

    ReplyDelete