Monday, November 21, 2016

Dogs need fashion too: A sweet sweater option for your little dino


When winter rolls around, this little Boston terrier needs a sweater. Without some sort of covering over her little body, she shivers and shivers and shivers inside the house. And going outside becomes an exercise in bribery. She will not set one little hoof out the door without some kind of covering on her body or a cookie in my hand.

So over the years, I've invested in a lot of dog coats and shirts for little Sinead. And this year, Uncommon Goods reached out to me about a different way to keep my dog warm. The company sent me this little sweater as a sample, in return for an honest review. Let me tell you about it.

Sinead the Boston terrier in her dino sweater

This is a sweater that most people would consider as a Halloween product. But I think it's a good option for people looking for a great Christmas gift for small and shivery dogs. (And as an aside, Uncommon Goods also has a ton of cool presents for people who like pets in general. Worth a peek!)

Uncommon Goods, as a company, believes in supporting artists and designers. Many of the products this company sells are unique, handcrafted and one of a kind. This sweater is no exception. It's handcrafted, and it was designed by two very talented people from Peru. The photos I'm showing here really don't do the quality of this product justice. It's soft and pliant and it's very tightly knit. This is something that will last for a long time.

It's also well crafted for regular use. There's a hole in the back, so I can slip on Sinead's harness beneath her sweater and clip to the harness rings on the outside. There are also two little holes in the hood for her ears. Sinead's head is small, so her ears don't protrude all the way out, but she doesn't pull on this hood when she's wearing it, which seems to indicate that it's comfy. Maybe those ear holes make the difference.

Sinead in her dinosaur sweater

That hood is key, for me. I've been wrapping Sinead in sweaters, but her head is almost always exposed. A hood has the potential to keep her a lot warmer. And all of the added fabric on the top of the hood does yet more to keep her warm.

Now, I'm aware that I could get a similar benefit from putting Sinead in a coat with a hood. And I may do that from time to time. But, as I've mentioned before, there is some benefit to dressing dogs up in costume-type clothing--especially when your dog is shy. A dog in a costume is a people magnet. When I've had Sinead out in this sweater, people have run up to talk with me and take her photo. And I've been able to give her a ton of training with these strangers. They give her cookies (although she won't always eat them), they tell her she's cute and they give her a pat. That helps me to remind her that people are awesome.

Don't think you could bear to put your dog in something like this? There are plenty of other reasons to do your Christmas shopping at Uncommon Goods. For starters: The company has some great stocking-stuffer options that are well crafted and unique. And second: This is a company with a long history of supporting wage equality and environmental support. If you want to speak with your dollars about causes you believe in, this is a great place to start. And, it might not be very costly. There are lots of low-cost gifts up for grabs on the site that someone might like.

I'm very pleased with this little sweater, and I'm so thankful that Uncommon Goods sent it to me to try out. I think it's bound to make Sinead's winter a touch more fun and a lot warmer!

What do you think? Leave me a note in the comments and let me know!

5 comments:

  1. I can't tell if you look happy in that sweater or not, but you do look darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her "I'm sleepy because I am warm" and "I am tired of my photo shoot" faces are very similar, it's true. But she was definitely toasty in these shots. She curled right up for a nap--in this sweater--when I put the camera away!

      Delete
  2. Uncommon Goods is so much fun. Love the sweater they sent you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sinead looks totally adorable, and the sweater looks nice and snuggly. That is one of our mom's favorite catalogs for unique gifts. Stay warm little lady. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete