When the leaves start to fall and the weather turns cool and crisp, a pug's thoughts start turning to turkey and stuffing.
Okay, let's be honest. Pugs don't really need a reason to think about snacks. Holiday or no, they're ready to eat. They need no excuses. But, since these guys are so food motivated, and since they're always on the lookout for things to gobble, I'm always happy to try new products. If I can find low-cal things the pug loves, keeping him both healthy and happy is a little easier.
So I was thrilled when the team at Vita Bone asked me to try out their new Turkey Stuffing and Cranberry dog treats. I thought Liam might like these guys, since he likes the other Vita Bone treats we've tried.
These snacks are made in the United States, and while they do contain both turkey and cranberry, they also contain quite a bit of wheat. That means these are snacks that don't feel greasy between my fingertips (as many meat-only products do). They also break apart very easily, unlike a lot of meat-only products. That means they can be broken up into very small bits.
I'm happy about that breakability, as these treats are a touch on the large side. Liam would very happily shove this whole treat in his mouth, but I know that wouldn't be at all good for him. Breaking this apart is a better choice. But, those of you with larger dogs might appreciate this big size. One cookie should hold your dogs over nicely.
You can see Liam longing to get his mouth on this cookie. I don't think the snacks come with a perceptible smell, but he seems alert and aware that I have a cookie in my hand. He must be able to smell them.
Happily, these passed the Liam taste test, too. He ate the treat very quickly (as he does with things he likes quite a bit) and then came back for seconds. And I didn't notice any digestive upset due to these treats, either.
Each cookie is worth about 62 kcal, which puts them on the low end of the caloric spectrum, especially if I break them apart and just give a small portion at a time. I plan on doing just that this holiday season.
Do you want to do the same? You're in luck. I have a wonderful giveaway for one lucky reader to win a bag of snacks. A few rules:
- The contest ends at 12 AM Eastern on 11/21/2016.
- No purchase necessary.
- To enter, leave a comment on this blog entry (so I can prove you're not a robot). When you've done that, check off your work on the widget in this blog. No other entry formats allowed.
- The number of eligible entries received will determine your odds of winning.
- The winner will be chosen at random from the eligible entries.
- The name of the winner will be posted on this blog, and I'll try to contact you through your comments, too.
- The winner will have 1 week to claim the prize, and if it's not claimed, a new winner will be chosen at random.
- The prize will be sent to the winner by Vita Bone, so you'll need to provide a valid mailing address.
- Open to residents of the United States, older than age 18.
- Void where prohibited by law.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Liam wants to wish you the best of luck! Everyone likes to win things, right?
Have a wonderful week! And don't forget to enter!