Sunday, November 13, 2016

Hissy, spitty foster kitty: Meet Eartha Kit-Kat

Closeup of foster kitty

In theory, kitten season in Oregon should be over. In reality, there are still a ton of little kittens entering the world right now. Our weather is unseasonably warm, and has been so for quite some time, so momma cats are still in season. And that means some mommas in my community are on their third litter of kittens this season.

That's probably what happened to the mother of my latest foster kitty. We're calling her Eartha Kit-Kat, and she'll be a member of the menagerie until December, more than likely.

Baby kitty on her towel

Eartha was born to a semi-feral mother cat living in an urban part of my Salem community. There are many cats in this colony, and the people who live nearby have been trying to trap those cats and help them. I'm not quite certain if Eartha was brought into a trap by her mother or if she was born in the shelter somewhere. But I know she's been with her mother in the shelter for a few weeks now. She's fully weaned, and she has a healthy immune system. She can thank her mother for that.

But, her mother was a semi-feral cat, and she was passing those habits on to Eartha. The shelter staff found a partner shelter that was willing to work with that mother on her socialization skills so she could become a healthy, happy pet for a lucky family. But the staff wanted Eartha to have some independent time with a family, so she could learn how to trust others without the fears of her mom influencing her decisions.

Eartha the kitten

Eartha is in what I call the "burrito stage." I wrap her up in a towel and take her most places with me. She is very worried about most of the places we go and the things she sees, so she doesn't move around very much in her towel. But every day, she gets a little better. She is no longer hissing at me or the dogs, and last night, she was thinking about playing with my embroidery thread as I worked on some Christmas projects. We're coming around.

I'll have some posts later this week with tips about the hissy spitties. But for now, I thought I'd just let you meet her and her amazing wonderfullnes as part of the Sunday Selfies, as hosted by The Cat On My Head.


Here's her try at a selfie.

Eartha the foster kitty

Thanks for stopping by, and do be sure to leave me a note, so I'll know you were here!

12 comments:

  1. Aww... what a cutie!

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a cutie. I am sure you will get her socialized in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so cute! Being a mom to a hissy spitty burrito kitty can't be easy but the rewards must be amazing! purrs Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Miss Eartha Kit-Kat is an adorable sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwwww what a little sweetie-pie!!!!

    Purrs

    Basil & Co xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweetie pie and her cute is everywhere! We need some of those hissy tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eartha Kit Kat sure is a cutie. Thank you for fostering her, and helping her get socialized, so that she can find a loving forever home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eartha is beautiful and we love her wee selfie. She has landed in a very nice and calm foster place.

    Shoko and Kali

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiya Eartha! Nice to meet you. Glad you are loved and learning about the Indoor World with a patient Mommy... -Katie Kat

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is too adorable for words and couldn't be in better hands than yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is so beautiful! If I can be tames, anycat can!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww... Eartha is adorable. We are sure she will be fine in no time with your help :) Pawkisses for a Happy Day :) <3

    ReplyDelete