Sunday, November 6, 2016

Kittens and cat toys: Finding the perfect match

Fergus the kitten in his cat scratch house

What's the best way to keep a pesky kitten from bothering the living daylights out of your adult cats? Offer a zillion toys!

That's a strategy I've been trying with little Fergus here, as he continues to stretch and grow and torment his older sister. The play sessions I've been holding with him on a regular basis help a ton, but he also needs to spend a little time engaging in his own games with his own little self. I'm hoping the toys I got him help with that.

Fergus the kitten with his toys

Fergus has always been a fan of little ball toys, especially if they make noise as they roll from place to place. Combining these small toys with this big barn from Target makes the game even more fun. If I toss a toy in the barn, he can reach through the little windows to try to get that toy out. Or, he can attempt to burrow under the barn's side walls (yes, he's been doing that too) in order to get at the toy.

Fergus the kitten at play

The bottom of this bed is made of corrugated cardboard, so it's perfect for sharpening little claws. And if I sprinkle a little catnip on that flat surface, it keeps the game going yet longer.

That little swinging piece from the top of the barn stayed firmly in place for this photo shoot, but it's since been ripped off. Fergus didn't seem able to resist playing with that in an untethered manner.

Did this completely eliminate his urge to play rough with his sister? Not by a long shot. He still pounces on her from time to time. But he also spends a lot of time playing his own little games with his house. And while he's at play, he's leaving her in peace. I think she appreciates that.

Fergus also managed to sit still long enough to pose for a nice cat selfie for our friends at The Cat On My Head. I think he did a good job, don't you?

Fergus the kitten with his toys

He does love to take a good photo. Be sure to leave him a comment, so I can tell him how well he did. And come back tomorrow, when I'll be talking about great cat toys for those kitties among us that are a little lazy and easily frightened. I have some good options to share, with Popoki as the model!


And be sure to visit the other blogs in the hop!

It's a fun way to meet new cats and new cat bloggers. And I know everyone enjoys a good visit.

20 comments:

  1. Fergus did a great job on the selfie, such a cutie. I went to Target after Halloween hoping to score one of those barns, but they were gone. I didn't get there til Wednesday, I should have gone Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fergus dats looks like a really goods barn to play in... Have blessed day. Mom has to go answer the door. -Angel the Fetch Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would imagine keeping up with Fergus must be quite difficult at times, and finding things to keep him amused for a long time must be difficult. I look forwards to your next post on the subject of toys. And yes, Fergus takes a gorgeous selfie, and lovely he posed with his fluffy pals. purrs ERin

    ReplyDelete
  4. He did a great job!

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fergus did very well with his selfie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey is there room in that cool house for us!? Amarula, Frodo and Zulu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fregus, your selfie is amazing pal! Hey, a zillion toys works for me too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would LOVE to know about toys for kitties who do not play with anything, like me. I love to chase a thingy mama made out of raffia, but that's it. That and a nip mouse she made. But I don't play very much. Am I normal? Love, Loulou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're normal! Popoki doesn't play much, either. Come back tomorrow and see what I'm using with her!

      Delete
  9. Fergus, we love your energy. Well, at least Steinbeck does since he's the kitten. Hemingway is older and doesn't have quite as much energy.
    Purrs to you from Hemingway and Steinbeck

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fergus, we are jealous...we love your barn...it's a cool place to hang and shake a paw that might come through the window. MOL You look awesome Furgus.

    Shoko and Kali

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a handsome kitten, Fergus! Bear needs to play ... if he gets restless, I know to drop everything and play with him for a little while ... otherwise things will start breaking :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is SO adorable...and that barn is the cutest Target scratcher ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That final picture is absolutely beautiful!!! The barn looks super duper fun for cats or maybe even small dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, that's a fantastic selfie! Love the scratcher.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fergus did a great job with that handsome selfie! And we think your barn is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a real fine house you have there, Fergus and you also have all that you need in it and that Selfie is just magnificent :) Pawkisses for a wonderful day :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. We wish we had those houses here in NZ but they are probably too bid to post MOL!!!

    Happy (if a bit late) Sunday Selfie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just bought the Christmas castle scratcher from Target - these seasonal scratch houses are too cute.

    ReplyDelete