Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Kitty's first leash walk outside

Fergus the kitten outside on a leash

Fergus the Siamese is a deep believer in the power of play. He spends all of his day stalking, hunting, pouncing, chasing or plotting. And unfortunately, he likes to play many of these very wild and rambunctious games with my senior cat, and Maggie has never been one for wild play.

Keeping the peace between these two very different personality types means trying to wear Fergus out as much as I can, and that isn't always easy. He can finish up a play session with tons of energy to spare, and he uses that energy to make Maggie's life difficult.

So this week, I tried something that's worked wonders with Popoki: I put him on a leash and let him come outside.

Fergus the kitten looking apprehensive

Fergus hasn't been outside for any meaningful length of time since he was rescued as a very tiny kitten. So on his first leash walk, he was understandably a little apprehensive about the whole thing. Look at those pinned ears! He's not quite sure what should happen next.

And the dogs weren't at all sure that their indoor kitty should be outside in the yard. Check out the supervisor in this photo. She has a lot to say about this whole thing.

Sinead the Boston terrier looks at her kitten through the window

While Sinead was worried about what was happening with Fergus, and she thought she should come out to help, there was someone in the house who seemed to have no sympathy at all for my feisty little kitten. In fact, when I told her that he seemed a little worried on the walk and might need a little reassurance, this was the look I got.

Maggie the cat giving me a snide look

Yeah, no sympathy there.

So we'll keep up with the leash walks for now. I think Fergus will grow accustomed to them in time, and I think it will help his relationship with his sassy sister. Whatever I can do to help, I'm all in!

Thanks for looking, and do leave me a comment so I'll know you were here, okay?

And be sure to check out the other blogs in this BlogPaws Wordless Wednesday hop. Everyone is so creative. You'll be glad you joined in.

14 comments:

  1. Maggie...if looks could kill! Mom has been working with C.J. and Giulietta just to get them accustomed to the harness. When she finally put the leash on C.J., she wouldn't do anything but lie down. It is impossible to drag a 14 pound cat. Good luck with Fergus. He looks adorable. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try to walk my cat on a leash so that he could be outside. Unfortunately where I live there are usually people walking their dogs around, so it wouldn't be safe.
    I'm sure Fergus will get used to the walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we have both learned over time that a leash and harness lets us go outside. We now ask to go outside.

    Shadow, Stealth, and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great that Fergus is getting out! Learning new things is always tough. It takes bravery to step out of your comfort zone. I hope that Fergus learns to enjoy his new freedom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's awesome that the leash walks are working to burn more energy. I'm always thinking of ways to burn Walter's endless energy as he also gets into trouble. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had an orange Tabby that loved going outside with the dogs, he didn't care too much for the harness though! Your Fergus is adorable, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a real look of disdain from Maggie! I hope Fergus soon learns to enjoy going out on his leash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fergus look adorable. Frodo was afraid too at first but they soon learn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Fergus looks scared to death. If he came here, this senior kitty would wear him out. I play for keeps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fergus, we bet you'll end up loving being outside on your leash. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha. Yeah, that is definitely not a sympathetic look there in that last shot. Fergus is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maggie's expression is the best of the day! I'm sure Fergus will learn to enjoy walking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice selfie, enjoy to walking Fergus

    ReplyDelete