Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Photography for pet bloggers: iPhone 6 vs DSLR

Pug in the yard with a DSLR camera

Everyone who has a pet blog wants the same thing: To grab a bigger slice of traffic. The more eyeballs we can get on our blogs, the more inspired we might be to keep creating content, despite the other demands we all face from our jobs, our families and our pets.

When most bloggers talk about boosting traffic, they start talking about SEO topics, like writing better or promoting better or linking better.

But there's something else that might help: A better camera.

Earlier this year, I won a DSLR camera at the Blog Paws conference, and I've been experimenting with it on this blog. Today, for the Wordless Wednesday blog hop, I thought it might be fun to show you a head-to-head comparison of what the DSLR can do, versus the iPhone 6 (my old blogging tool).

The top shot in this blog is taken with the DSLR. The photo below was taken about 2 seconds later, with my iPhone.

Liam the pug in the yard

You can click on the photos to make them bigger, and if you do that, the first thing you might notice is the depth of field.

The DSLR has a very shallow depth of field, so the item you're focused on is very sharp and crisp, and the background fades away to near nothingness.

The iPhone is the reverse. Everything in that shot is in focus, which means it's a little easier to have your pets blur into the background of the photos.

Another example, with the DSLR first.

Liam the pug looking judgemental

And here's nearly the same shot with the iPhone.


That first shot is just a ton more detailed. You can see all of Liam's little white hairs around his muzzle, and the deep brown of his eyes. In the second shot, a lot of that detail is just missing. The photo is still cute and sassy, but the detail just isn't there.

Now, there's a lot you can do to improve photography skills with any camera. (I've written up some tips to help you photograph black animals, for example, and I think those are worthwhile for anyone to follow.) But clearly, having the right camera matters. Those detailed photos could get you that boost of attention you've been looking for.

Any DSLR users out there? Drop me a comment! I'd love to go check out your blog and see what you're up to. Drop me a note in the comments!

And be sure to visit the other blogs in the hop. Good stuff this week!

5 comments:

  1. I got a Cannon Powershot G16 nearly 2 years ago but have been remiss in learning all the features! It does take mush better photos than my smartphone for sure.
    Love & biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! And what a great model Liam is. I use a DSLR most of the time when I'm at the shelter. It's so much faster, and the quality of the photos is way better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband does all of our blog photography. He has always taken great photos and with each step-up in cameras, the difference is incredible Congratulations on winning your camera. What a terrific prize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a really nice DSLR camera with a zoom lens and everything - but it's really big so I generally only use it for pics around the house or when we go on vacations. Otherwise, I usually just use my iPhone. Generally, the DSLR gets better pics, but every once in a while I get a really great one w/ my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on winning a DSLR! now to upgrade your lenses ;)

    ReplyDelete