Monday, December 5, 2016

Dog coat review: Nano knit sweater from DGS

Liam the pug in a sweater

The older Liam the pug gets, the more susceptible he is to the cold. I think that's true of most dogs. When they're small and rambunctious puppies, they move around enough to keep their bodies warm. But when they get a little older and the squirming part stops, the cold can seep in. And that means more discomfort on walks.

So when Dog Gone Smart (DGS) asked me to review a coat for Liam, I jumped at the chance. They sent me Nano Knit Sweater in return for my honest review and thoughts on the product. And after asking Liam to wear this little jacket for several wet and cold days, I though I had enough information to do the job right.

DGS is best known for making products that resist stains and odors. I've reviewed a pet bed for this company in the past, and I can attest to the fact that the technology the company uses seems capable of repelling scents.

This coat comes with the same technology. Liam has been wearing it through the mud and muck, and due to his ongoing skin issues, he can be a smelly little critter. Despite all that, this coat doesn't smell anything like dog. That makes me happy.

Liam the pug in his coat

But few people buy a dog coat with odors in mind. They buy coats because they need to keep their little pets warm in cold weather. I'm happy to say this little sweater does that work quite well.

As you can see in the two photos above, this coat provides full coverage from neck to tail. Liam's entire back is covered, as is his entire belly. He still has the freedom to pee and things, but his body is close to fully encased in this coat. And the knit of this coat is tight and firm. Nothing is moving out between those fibers into the air, and nothing is moving from the air to his fur. When he's in this coat, he traps his body heat in and keeps the cold out. That's excellent.

My one complaint involves the solid nature of that back. As you can see from this photo above, there's no spot here for a harness hook. That means I have to put Liam's harness on the outside of his coat. I don't like doing that overmuch, as I have to adjust the size for his coat and without his coat. That makes hectic mornings yet more complicated.

Liam the pug modeling his coat

But I will say that getting Liam out of this coat is a snap. I can lower the zipper under his chin to free his head, and there are Velcro straps under his arms I can loosen to pull the sweater off his back. One tug and he's on the loose. Since Liam dislikes having things go over his head and cover his eyes, I appreciate this easy-off function. It makes working with Liam a little easier.

If you're interested in a sweater like this for your little ones, you can shop online at the DGS website. The sweater I'm reviewing here is the Nano Knit Sweater. If you want something a little more robust, the company also fells fully-fledged coats your dog might enjoy. And I think the pricing is darn reasonable.

What do you think of this little sweater? Do your dogs wear sweaters in the winter? Shoot me a note in the comments and let me know!

Disclosure: I was sent this sweater to try in return for an honest review. No other compensation was provided. All opinions are my own. 

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the color of this sweater and the pictures are adorable. Ruby likes to wear sweaters and coats in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liam looks very handsome in his sweater. My niece's Jack Russell always has a coat on when she goes outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liam makes a sweater looks so good Amarula almost wants to wear one--almost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liam looks very cool in his sweater! I can't imagine my floofiness would allow for such a thing ....... well I wouldn't allow for it! MOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, you sure do look right fancy in that nice sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a really nice sweater, except for the lack of a place for the harness hook to peek through.

    ReplyDelete