Thursday, December 29, 2016

Dogs and cats sharing their toys: Something to be thankful for

Fergus the cat with a dog toy

I firmly believe that dogs and cats were made to live together. My home wouldn't be the same unless I had both species sharing my home. My dogs are my public face, and they connect me with the world outside. And my cats are my at-home face, helping me to rest and relax in spaces that are just my own. I can't imagine my life without either dogs or cats.

But living with both species comes with some challenges. For example, it means that I have plenty of different types of toys, and some toys that are suitable for some species are not suitable for others. Cat toys, for example, can be very fragile. My dogs can strip the fluff off feathers, rip the nip out of a soft center and chew the bark off a stick in minutes. And some dog toys are too big or too hard or too spiky for cats. My cats may not ruin these toys, but they may be afraid of them.

So today, I'm thankful for toys that do double duty. Like this one Fergus is kind enough to pose with.

Fergus the cat with a dog toy

This is a tiny, latex dog toy that's incredibly lightweight. Fergus likes to hit it with those snowy paws of his and watch it bounce from one room to another. And it's durable enough to resist his full-body slams and across-the-room pounces he likes to deliver when he's really involved in a play session.

But it's the same toy some of you may remember from a post about a year ago, featuring this photo.

Sinead the Boston terrier with her ball

Sinead also loves this ball. It's very satisfying for her to chew and crunch in the late evening when she's trying to settle down for a long day. And she enjoys the way this ball bounces on a throw from her humans when she needs to get a little exercise.

So this is a toy that makes both pets very happy. And on this Thankful Thursday, as hosted by Brian, it's enough to make our hearts feel full. In this year that's been filled with losses and sadness, we sometimes need to celebrate the small victories. And that's just what I'm doing today.

Thankful Thursday

Have something you're thankful for? Head over to the hop and join in. But before you go, leave me a comment, won't you? That would make me thankful, too!

8 comments:

  1. Those are such wonderful photos. We used to have 2 dogs here but they went to the Bridge, we got along famously. Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We imagine it would be difficult to have the right toys for both species.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you - Dogs and cats were made to live together. We used to have a dog and a cat at the same time. They played together, chased each other around the house, and just had a good time. I've even seen dogs and cats snuggling together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a couple toys that interest both species. Sometimes Eddie (our dog) just claims some cat toys for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care for woofies but I bet I would like their toys. I don't care for sticky little humans but I like their toys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're glad they all share. That makes for a happy family. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great that they share. My niece's dog destroys the poor cats' toys.

    ReplyDelete