Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Wordless Wednesday: Meet the dogs of the menagerie

Liam the pug in his bed

I spend a lot of time on this blog talking about cats. I have five permanent residents of the menagerie that have wonderful stories and adorable faces, and I often highlight what they're doing in the posts I write. I also talk about community cats that don't belong to me but that feel like my responsibility (like STILL available King Dude the shelter cat and adopted foster kitten Eartha). So my blog can feel very cat-centric at times.

But I also have two very important dogs in the menagerie. And today, I thought I'd introduce them to those new readers who don't know about how cute and special these critters can be.

First up: Liam. He's a 9yo pug that has lived with me since he was a tiny puglet of 8 weeks old. I brought him home when my first dog (a fabulous Boston terrier) developed significant separation anxiety and was spending most of his free time wailing and drooling. Liam was a wonderful helper who soothed my old dog's fears and kept him company.

Liam the pug signing

Liam continues that tradition of helpfulness as an adult. He's wonderfully calm and patient with tiny foster kittens, even when they annoy him or awaken him when he's sleeping. And he is a patient and kind guide dog for blind cat Lucy, who is his biggest fan.

Liam is getting a little older, and he has some aches and pains due to a bad back. But he remains cheerful and calm through most of the challenges that come his way. He's truly a wonderful dog.

Next up: Sinead. She is a 4yo Boston terrier, and she might be familiar to those of you who go to BlogPaws each year. She's the teeny-tiny Boston terrier parading around the conference.

Sinead the Boston terrier

Sinead came to the menagerie when she was 6 months old. I had been in contact with rescue groups in Oregon and Washington for years, but I couldn't find a Boston that was right for my family. This type of dog is very rare in the Pacific Northwest, and they tend to get snapped up fast when they show up in shelters and in the rescue rosters. In time, I connected with a local lady who helped to coordinate the Oregon rescue. She also bred these dogs, and she told me about tiny Sinead. She had been born freakishly small (albeit very healthy), and the breeder was a little worried that someone would adopt her and try to develop very small Bostons. Breeding Sinead with a full-grown Boston could put her life at risk. We were worried. So we took her home.

Sinead may be very small, but she is very sassy and she keeps me laughing with her oversized personality.

Sinead the Boston terrier and the stink eye

She is very sensitive to voice commands and she is (hands down) the most obedient dog I've ever known. But she finds ways to express her displeasure when she doesn't quite want to do something I want her to do. The stink eye and a well-placed sigh are great methods of communication for this little sassy thing.

So these are the menagerie dogs! I hope you enjoyed reading about them. Do leave me a comment so I'll know you were here.

And be sure to visit the other blogs in the BlogPaws blog hop! You'll be glad you did.

13 comments:

  1. We LOVE Liam and Sinead! Thank you for sharing about them ... it was fun to learn more about these two cuties. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really awesome that Liam is so good with your foster kittens. It's super hard to find dogs to tolerate new guests and I live with three awesome dogs but none of them are great at welcoming fosters into the mix! Love the intro to Liam and Sinead! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Liam is sooo sweet! He reminds me so much of Puglet from The Daily Puglet - a blog that sadly hasn't been updated in many years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stink eye and sigh Sinead gives when she is displeased. We so enjoyed meeting her at BlogPaws and even sitting next to her at dinner. She was more well-behaved than some of the adults. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're adorable! I've never had a dog...I think I'm too lazy, cats are much more my speed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These two are so cute! I can see a lot of personality coming through in those photos. I bet they are a blast to have around. It is awesome that Liam is great with kitties! :) Sinead seems like a wonderful helper too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute - thanks for sharing more information about them both

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Sinead and enjoyed sitting by her in Phoenix ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a couple of great dogs, and we certainly enjoyed meeting them. M said she needs a doggie fix every now and then. M and D used to have a miniature schnauzer long befor I came along. They loved Fritz and still miss having him around even tho it's been about 15 years since he crossed that Rainbow bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for introducing your pups :) Our son is named Liam! Pawsome name! We wish you all much love and happiness in the New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to get to know Liam and Sinead better. You're both just too cute!

    And I just realized that I don't know if Astrid and I officially thanked these two cuties yet for her delicious gift in our Secret Santa Paws box of goodies. If not, thank you!!! Liam and Sinead, you two sure picked out the best gift for Astrid, because she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your darlings with us! My husband commented that my blog was leaning heavily toward the cat side, also. Sometimes, that's just the way it goes.

    ReplyDelete