Monday, January 2, 2017

Shelter cat stories: Ending 2016 with special cat adoptions

Fergus the Siamese kitten

Small and adorable cats like Fergus rarely spend long periods of time in the shelter system. People see these little faces (especially if those faces have traditional Siamese-type shapes or colors), and they rush to take these little ones home. I know they do. I did it myself.

But cats that are either all black or partly black, cats that are older and cats that have special needs can be a lot harder to place. And that means they can spend longer periods of time in the shelter waiting for the right home.

And sometimes, cats come into the shelter with all three strikes against them.

They're old.

They're black.

They have health concerns.

Two cats just like this were in my shelter recently, and both of them appeared on this blog in my Shelter Cat Stories series. Last week, both of these cats got the happy endings they were looking for. I thought I'd share those happy stories today.

First up: Static. I shared his story on the blog in the middle of December. (Miss it? Find it here.)

Static the senior cat

This guy is 18yo, and he was brought to the shelter due to an owner health problem. He was in remarkably good health for an old dude, but he does have FIV. And he needs a special diet due to his age and his kidney health. For some people, this was just too much to consider. So Static waited for his home for a very long time.

His story started to gain traction in my Salem community, and many people started talking about him both online and off. Then, a volunteer in my shelter offered to cover the cost of adoptions for all senior cats, if those adoptions were completed in December. That was enough to boost shopping in the shelter. And someone came in and fell in love.

I've been told Static is going into a home with a teenage girl who has long wanted a cat. This family took his adoption so seriously that they placed him on hold and then went home to talk his adoption through as a family for 24 hours. Only when they were sure they could give him the home he deserved did they come back and seal the deal. It's a wonderful ending to this story.

Next: King Dude. He was featured on the blog near the end of December. (Missed it? Find it here.) This cat got his name from a shelter staffer who is a big fan of a musician named King Dude. That musician found out about this kitty, and that musician shared this guy's story. As of this writing, that post about the kitty King Dude has been read more than 6 thousand times. It's amazing.

King Dude the cat

King Dude's age is unclear, as he was found as a stray. But he's very much in senior territory. That meant he also qualified for free adoption. But even so, it took the King a little longer to find a family. He has a thyroid disorder and needs medications for that. And he has kidney woes, so he needs special food. Some people found that list of concerns too long.

But last week, a couple came looking for the King, and they took him home to live with them. He's settled right down into their home (no hiding!), and he's been spending his free time cuddling and bumping his new people. He seems grateful for the rescue. As am I.

Success stories like this are plentiful, and I'm not always great about sharing them. It's something I'm planning to rectify in 2017!

If you'd like to learn more about the amazing work being done at Willamette Humane Society, I invite you to check out their Week of Wonder story series. There are some great tales to share there.

And I know many of you helped me to share the stories of Static and King, and you should take a bow at the work you've done and the outcomes we're celebrating. Good work!

Be sure to leave me a comment, so I'll know you were here!

5 comments:

  1. Well now dat we all be cryin'...Dat's such pawsum mews. We're so glad both those handsum old guys got their furevers. Dat's da bestest way to start a Mew Year. Big hugs

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Concatulations to these two special kitties. I am hoping that Allie, who was our Sunday selfie, has the same good fortune to find her second forever home. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post to start the New Year. They all deserve a wonderful home. They may be oldies, but they are the golden ones :) Good Luck Pawkisses to all of you, kitties :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love happy endings, I wish every cat could have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have such a fondness for special needs and geriatric furbabies, and I just love happy endings like this. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful stories with us!

    ReplyDelete