Sunday, February 5, 2017

Cat personalities on display: Grumpy and independent

Maggie the cat on the back of the couch

Sunday = selfies for the cats in the menagerie. Every week, I do a little poll to see which of my furry sweeties feels like participating in a few fun snaps to share with the world at large, and every week I seem to get a different kitty who feels strongly about playing along.

This week, we're doing something a little different, as I had two cats who wanted to play. And their approach to selfies demonstrates what's so wonderful about cats: They are diverse!

First up: Maggie. She hasn't been seen much on the blog, since I fell and broke my leg about a month ago. Maggie can be a little timid and shy, and there is a lot about a serious orthopedic injury that can worry a cat like this. She didn't like to hear me cry. She didn't like any of my ambulatory equipment (walker, scooter and crutches). And she didn't like the way I smelled due to the medications, bandages, salves and other therapies I was dealing with. So she hid.

This week, though, we have turned a corner. Maggie has been sleeping on the back of the couch (where I have been spending the majority of my time) and she's been soothing me by purring into my ears, kneading my neck and gently grooming my forehead. When I asked her if she wanted to do a selfie, she decided to try and handle the camera herself.

Cat trying to work a camera phone

Once she had the settings she liked, she decided that we needed to get a photo of her good side. So she stopped with the fussing, struck a pose and turned in a wonderful little profile shot. Go, Maggie!

Maggie the cat posing for her photograph

It's wonderful to have this cat back in my life once more. And I hope my continued stages of recovery, as things change and progress, won't cause her to revert.

Now, Popoki is another shy little cat. But her approach to all of the changes due to my leg is a little different. She hasn't been hiding or running from me. But she has been skipping more than a few meals. And she has been avoiding lap time, unless there's a great deal of coaxing going on. Where Maggie seems comfortable actively displaying her distress, Popoki is internalizing. It's the same problem, but a different manifestation.

When I asked Popoki if she'd like to pose for photos, this is the response I got.

Popoki the cat looking grumpy

That's one heck of a grumpy face! So we spent a little time on grooming and sweet talking. She ate a few treats. We took things slow and steady. And after a little while, she took her cat stairs up to her new salon to think things over.

Later, I felt a little tap on my arm and turned to see her on the bottom step. So we did a selfie together. That seemed like the best idea for her.

Popoki and mom do selfie together

Lest anyone worry, we have been in touch with Popoki's veterinarian. And she may go in for a little checkup next week if things don't turn around. But we all seem to agree that she is behaving this way because of the stress and chaos in the house now. We don't want to exacerbate that by stressing her with a vet visit if one isn't needed. But we won't put her health at risk, either. It's a balance.

And speaking of health, thanks to everyone who has contacted me with notes and sweet well wishes. I have my good days and bad with this leg, but I am getting to the point where the good outweighs the bad. I have my challenges yet to overcome, but I am getting better. Everyone who has reached out has helped me with that. So thank you. And I'll have a bigger post about my recovery on Thursday, so be sure to check back.

So that's it for this post for the Sunday Selfie series as hosted by The Cat On My Head.

Sunday cat selfies logo

We always have such fun working on these photos. And we love seeing the photos others pop up each week. Have you joined in yet? You should. Click through and see what you're missing.

But before you go, be sure to leave me a note, won't you? I love hearing from readers.

12 comments:

  1. Maggie is gorgeous no matter the angle! Poor kitties. All the changes must be confusing for them. I never thought about it, but Bear would react much like Maggie. I hope Maggie and Popoki continue to relax into the new normal. It can't be easy for any of you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. you two are good looking girls. Also your mom is not bad either even without fur....not bad. Popoki, I always look grumpy...I get the feeling you do too. We can't help it, that's just the way the fur flies. We are happy on the inside. I will watch for your vet visit if it's needed. We all hate the ride to the vet....the vet's ok....better than the ride to see her. She should come visit ur. hehe

    Your friend,

    Shoko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mes so furry happy that yous, Maggie and Popoki is all doing better. Mes will keep purraying. And Mes used to get quite stressed when Mommy or Daddy got sick or hurt, but now that mes a old cat mes has mellowed.
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great selfies. Maggie sounds like a sweetie caring for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, we love both of your selfies, Maggie and Popoki! You are all constantly in our thoughts, purrs and prayers, dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the kitties are helping with your recovery. Maggie looks like a long-haired version of our cat Moo Shu, who is also shy and doesn't appear on the blog much. I hope things go well with Popoki at the vet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww lovely photo's,keeping you all on our thoughts and prayers,xx Speedy and Mum Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Popoki and Maggie you are lovely cats helping with the selfies. Thank you.

    Get well soonest - to Mum

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are both wonderful and unique. Those stairs and their situation are wonderful too, and looks like they have been a real plus for Popoki. Heres hoping when you are better more so will she be. Purrs, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet of you two to help your mom with the recovery. We're glad Maggie showed up again and we also believe Popoki will get better when you are. Will send Healing Pawkisses to all of you and a speedy recovery☺ Pawkisses for a Happy Day☺❤

    ReplyDelete