Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Multiplying dog and cat cuddles

Sinead the small Boston terrier

Sinead the Boston terrier doesn't have a great cuddling history. Despite her very small size, which you would think would make her a breeze to cuddle, she remains pretty darn independent. She doesn't like people or pets crowding her or taking over what she deems her very important personal space.

But, since I broke my leg a few weeks ago, Sinead seems to have softened her cuddling stance. And everyone is taking advantage.

For example, Sinead has decided that she needs to be sitting either beside me or (preferably) on top of me, no matter where I might be sitting or what I might try to be doing. This means she often tries to cram herself into spaces that don't quite fit.

Sinead the Boston terrier crammed into my lap

Here she is sitting on my lap, right where that keyboard should be. I have the pillow there so I can type while in my recliner (so my foot stays elevated). But she's crammed herself on that pillow, tight against my belly, and I don't have the heart to move her.

Sometimes, when I am sitting and not working, Sinead sits on my lap and others come and sit with her on my lap. This means she has to share the space by snuggling with the other animal. Fergus is a huge fan of this.

Fergus and Sinead in a cuddle

These two are both in my lap, but Fergus has one arm slung over the little dog, and he's resting his chin on her back. I'm not exactly sure Sinead is a huge fan of this whole thing, but she isn't growling and she isn't moving. So she is, at the very least, tolerating this embrace. I never thought I'd see the day.

Fergus the cat cuddles with Sinead the Boston terrier

When I do manage to get Sinead off of my lap, she's been crawling into Liam's big bed to cuddle with him. Again, this is something she absolutely never does. These dogs often take turns sleeping in this bed, and they're very polite about changing places. But they hardly ever sleep in the bed together. But this week, all that changed.

Two dogs in one dog bed

I have another month of non-weight-bearing life ahead of me. I have no idea what changes that will bring in this little dog. Who in the world will she cuddle with next! Stay tuned to find out.

This is my submission to Wordless Wednesday, as hosted by BlogPaws. Do be sure to check out the other blogs in the hop. You'll be glad you did. But stop and leave me a note before you go, won't you?

9 comments:

  1. I am glad something good has come out your awful accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! You little cuddle bugs! :) too precious

    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cuddles with Sinead ... what a wonderful blessing for you as you rest and heal. :)

    That picture of Fergus giving her a hug just melted my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the cutest darn photos ever. Looks as if Sinead has decided you need some special doggy TLC. You remain in our mom's prayers. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo and Cooper Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cuddling photos are so cute! I'm glad that Sinead has decided to allow some cuddling, even if it is just in sympathy to you. Pets are really intune to how we (their owners) are feeling. I hope your leg is healing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I am so sorry about your leg! Not a great way to start the year. I hope it heals quickly and easily. I think Sinead thinks you need some distraction and a little TLC!

    Hope your leg heals before BlogPaws!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, me too. Hubby and I were just talking about that last night. By May, I should be able to walk without a crutch, and I should have the boot off. But my recovery will be very new, and I expect that leg will be tender. I may have to bring a cane and supports. Or I may have to miss it. Gah. Crossing fingers for fast healing.

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry that you broke your leg. ♥ I love that Sinead has become your caregiver. That is so sweet. Enjoy all the loving you can get. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh your pack cuddles together! I catch snuggles with Walter and Sherm in the window during the day but Bruiser is pretty darn independent... I'm so sorry you broke you leg. I do think Sinead is playing nurse and taking care of you!

    ReplyDelete