Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Lap cats and dogs: Everyone wants a cuddle

Sinead the Boston terrier asking to sit on my lap

What happens when the weather is cool and wet? Dogs and cats can't go outside for their regular exercise sessions (even the cats go for walks in this household), and they think the house is a little too chilly for active play. That means--in this household anyway--that we get a lot of requests for lap access.

I should point out that all of my animals know that they should ask before they jump up for lap time. My dogs may be little, but they could do a lot of damage if they jump up unexpectedly. And my cats have had drinks spilled on them enough times that they know they should ask before leaping too.

But since the weather is so cool and crisp, every time I look down, I see a little face asking to be let up. Like this.

Popoki the cat asking for lap access

In general, I try to let the dogs and cats hop on up when they ask nicely. If I ignore their requests, they might stop asking for permission altogether. And that could mean I'd have dogs and cats leaping into my lap unannounced.

But since I do try to say yes so often, and I have so many little pets, I sometimes get myself in trouble. Like this.

Three pets on one lap

Look closely and you'll see Liam the pug, Sinead the Boston terrier and Lucy the blind cat all on my lap at the same time. That's a lot of pets! And not quite enough lap.

Here's hoping the weather warms up soon, so these guys can get out and about with ease (and so my lap can get a bit of a break!).

Do you train your pets to ask for permission before leaping? Leave me a note in the comments and let me know.

And this is my entry into the Wordless Wednesday blog hop as hosted by BlogPaws. Be sure to visit the other blogs in this week's hop. You'll be glad you did.

16 comments:

  1. I think I would to know how you trained your cats not to jump up without permission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a side effect of the broken leg. I think they knew that jumping on me was bad/caused crying. They stopped when I was just home from the hospital, and then just never picked it up again.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps your cats are very sensitive to you or just very smart? I wish they could give Connor some lessons on being polite!

      Delete
  2. Lexy isn't a lap cat, and I don't ask for permission. Mommy doesn't like it when I jump in her lap when she's eating. I can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sinead, Duffy loves your little sweater.Wherever did you find it?
    Our Mama can find a few of us on her lap at once in the evenings. We don't really ask but somehow insinuate our way into her lap before she realizes what has happened! ;p

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister knitted that sweater for Sinead. Isn't it adorable?

      Delete
  4. Mudpie waits a minute before jumping up, and thankfully an only child doesn't have any competition :) There's been lots of lap time this winter and I'll be sad to see it end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing quite like having a lap full of pets. :) It is a great way to stay warm when it is cold outside. Your pets look so happy in your lap. It's nice of them to ask before just jumping up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed that dogs and cats ask to jump in your lap. Ruby does, but the cats do as the please. I love Sinead's sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how do you get anything done? I'd just want to sit all day with the fur kids. :) Rita isn't a lap dog. She'll lay beside me on the sofa, but she rarely even leans up against me, so when she does I really love it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cuddles are the best medicine ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture is awesome, Jean! But we can understand how your lap could use a break. For whatever reason, Gracie and Zoe are both very gentle about sitting/laying on us. It's almost as though they are asking for permission before just doing it. Moosey, Sammy, Bitsy and Graphite were all the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love lap time. Though mine don't ask permission.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Though none of us are really true lap cats, Ernie is the closest. And no permission is required.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so sweet. The most I ever get is 2 cats at once and that is rare.

    ReplyDelete