Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The human bed is really for cats, right?

Fergus the kitten on the bed

Any allergist will tell you that cats should not be allowed on a human's bed. Cat hairs, and the dander generated by cat skin, can be an irritant to the sinuses and lungs. People who have allergies--even if they've had allergy shots, like I have--really should limit exposure to these kinds of triggers.

I know all that. I've read the literature. But seriously. How can you kick a comfy cat off your bed?

Fergus the kitten in closeup

Fergus here has both of his little paws curled in. Cats only do that when they're really comfortable and planning to stay in place for awhile. Fergus rarely folds his paws in like this, because he's a young dude and he has a lot to do. Long naps don't really fit into his master plan. But when he does have his feet curled, he's really parked.

And I don't blame him. The bedroom is a little cooler than the rest of the house, so I would imagine that it's much more comfortable for hairy guys like Fergus. And the bed is piled high with winter coverlets and quilts, as the nights are still quite cold in Oregon. This is a soft bed for a kitty to take advantage of.

Fergus the cat yawning

See? Seriously. How can I move him.

So I don't. If he makes it into the bedroom and he gets comfortable, he gets to stay. If the bedding is filled with hair when it's time for bed, a quick runover with the vacuum can pick up the chunks. And for everything else, there's Zyrtek.

How about you? Do you let your cats or dogs sleep on the human bed? Drop me a note and let me know.

And don't forget to visit some of the other blogs in this week's BlogPaws hop! You'll be glad you did.

13 comments:

  1. I love the curled in paws! Mini also does it sometimes and it is so cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's simply impossible to kick those adorable little faces off the bed!!! I'd like my allergist to come and tell Snoodles to move...I bet he couldn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off...those whiskers, Fergus...lengendary! Of course, we sleep on the bed. If we don't, how will our humans know we love them? Do they have allergies? You bet they do. Do we care? Not a bit. Cooper Murphy is finally spending a little time on the humans' bed, which makes them very happy. There are always a couple to several of us there during the day, and a minimum of five at night! XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo and Cooper Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get allergy shots and we always have cats in bed with us and during the day. I would rather suffer than exclude them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't be able to move him either! Fergus is such a cutie pie. It would be so hard not to curl up right next to him for a cuddle. :) I hope that your allergies give you a pass for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, everyone - Ruby and the cats end up sharing the bed with us every night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TW is very allergic to cats. I sleep on the other pillow next to her's every night. She has no other choice. I wouldn't dream of sleeping with Pop and if her door was shut, I'd scratch on it all night and get so upset I'd have an asthma attack. TW awakes with at least one of her nostrils pasted shut every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mudpie sleeps with me. I couldn't sleep without her. I do have allergies but it's never been a problem, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh,that's so cute how his paws are curled in. And, yes, of course we don't boot Rita off our bed - even if it means I'm uncomfortable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. In our house, it's the cats' bed, and we're lucky that they let us sleep in it. Ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have allergies but would rather suffer a few sniffles than kick my kitties outa bed

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have terrible allergies and would rather be stuffed & sneezy than kick Malloy off the bed, he's such a snuggle bug! Love the tucked in paws :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guilty here! Yes, Haley sleeps in our bed sometimes and when we had our cat, he did too. I wouldn't have moved Fergus either, haha!

    ReplyDelete