Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Bunnies make bad gifts: An Easter reminder

Popoki the cat with her bunnies

Popoki the cat is helping me to a quick PSA this week about bunnies. Now that spring is right around the corner, I'm seeing tons of ads popping up in my local Craigslist about tiny bunnies that will be ready "just in time for Easter." Supposedly, these little creatures will be tucked into baskets for kids to enjoy.

And I just know, come May, I'll see many more ads in my local Craigslist about abandoned bunnies who have hopped into yards to eat growing vegetables.

This is a cycle that happens every year. And it really doesn't have to be this way.

Popoki the cat with her bunny

Bunnies do make wonderful pets. They're super smart, which means they can be trained to do all sorts of things, including using a designated place to pee and poop. They can come when called, they can do tricks and they can behave nicely for medical exams. In short, they're great options for people who want a furry creature that isn't a dog or a cat.

But bunnies are also a time commitment. They need socialization, and they need to spend time with the people they love. Many bunnies also prefer to spend time in the company of other bunnies. Families that take home one rabbit and think that animal will be happy as anything in a hutch in the yard all alone all day are bound to have an unhappy bunny that acts up. And that's a bunny that's likely to be abandoned.

Popoki the cat poses with her bunny

If you are ready to make a full commitment to the health, well-being and happiness of a rabbit, go ahead and bring one home for Easter. Love it and cuddle it and make it a member of your family. But if you're not quite ready for the responsibilities that come with a rabbit, take Popoki's advice. Get a stuffed bunny instead. They're just as cute and cuddly, and they require no maintenance.

Just sayin'.

Do you have a bunny? Have you ever lived with one? Drop me a note in the comments and let me know. I love a good bunny story.

And be sure to visit the other blogs in this BlogPaws hop. Good stuff this week!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! People need to research any animal before they bring it home! (I've never had a bunny. They sure are cute!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had house rabbits for about 20 years until the hay dust was too much for me. I worried about introducing my rabbits to my first cat, but my 11 pound female rabbit charged the cat when he jumped over the baby gate and my cautious cat learned that he couldn't push any of the rabbits around. Over time, I'd often find the cat eating hay alongside one of my rabbits which helped him toss up his hairballs. Fortunately the personalities in our home matched up well.
    We are at the time of the year where we have people asking about bunnies at the shelter where I volunteer. Most people think rabbits are easy to take care of, which is far from the truth. We discuss a diet of unlimited hay and fresh vegetables and a small amount of pellets and the ability of a spayed or neutered rabbit to use a litterbox consistently and they are usually shocked! So thank you for sharing the message that bunnies make bad Easter gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job helping with the PSA, Popoki!

    This is such an important post, Jean. We hate that there are still people who think bunnies, chicks and ducklings are good Easter presents, and that there's always a proliferation of unwanted ones after the holidays. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. I was a crazy bunny lady before I became a crazy cat lady and they are a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our bunny, Abby, thanks you Popoki for helping spread this very important message!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful message. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bunnies are cute...but they are a lot of work...just like any pet. Thanks for this great post reminding humans of that.

    ReplyDelete