Thursday, April 6, 2017

Dog walks: A simple thing that brings humans and their dogs closer together

Sinead the Boston terrier on a walk

At first glance, this might seem like a really standard photo of a Boston terrier pausing on her walk with her human. In reality, this photo means a whole lot more. This is a photo about healing, about spring and about the wonderful things dogs do for their humans every day.

Let me explain.

In January, I fell while walking Liam the pug, and I broke my left leg in several places. At the time, I was thankful I was walking my very happy-go-lucky pug, as he accepted help from all of the strangers who rushed to the scene to assist, and he did so without any training. Sinead the Boston terrier wouldn't have been nearly so accommodating.

But, in the aftermath of my injury and the surgery and the long recovery, it's been Sinead who has helped me. She insisted on sleeping right next to me, in the human bed, when I got home from the hospital. She walked with me, licking my ankle, when I tried to get up on my feet again. She brought me her very favorite toy when the pain was too much and I dissolved into tears. She was my nursemaid.

So it was only fair that she should be the witness to this week's show of independence. This week, she and I took a walk together.

Sinead and I on a walk

Note that I am wearing two shoes. Not a cast. Not a brace. But shoes. And there's no one else in this photo. It's just my little dog and I, sharing this victory together.

I am using a cane these days, and I don't walk very fast. Sometimes, I need to stop and take a break. But Sinead remains very patient. She goes at my pace. She sits when I need to sit. She watches for danger and growls when she sees it. And sometimes, she licks my shoelaces to encourage me.

All of this work means a great deal to me. And it wears this little dog out. When we got home, she needed a nap. And I don't blame her. I needed one myself.

Sinead the Boston terrier in her bed

I had clean x-rays this week, which means my broken leg is knitted up around the hardware holding it in place. So these walks Sinead and I take will continue, and it's likely I'll move faster with time. I am expected to make a wonderful recovery, and should be able to walk with ease throughout the rest of my life. Running might not be possible, due to all the hardware. But walking should be a snap.

It's good news, and I know Sinead contributed to that. I will always be thankful for her support, kindness and cuteness. I just couldn't have done it without her, and on this Thankful Thursday, as hosted by Brian's Home, I honor her.

Head on over to visit Brian and share some other stories of thanks. But before you go, do leave me a comment, won't you? Love to hear your thoughts.

8 comments:

  1. That is sure something to be thankful for and welcome back to the walking world!!! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, what a wonderful story. Sinead is a good nurse.... evidence you're walking again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your leg is healing well!

    Animals are amazing little healers, aren't they?

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a story. So glad to see you back on your feet.

    A good friend has had several surgeries with a long recovery period. Her Lab has become someone she can lean on, physically, and her Boston supports her emotionally.

    Glad Sinead was able to do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're glad to hear you're back on your feet again. And we know you had some special nurses helping you with your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to being cast free, you have been through a lot. And kuddos to Sinead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean, this is so wonderful, and we are over the moon for you. Congratulations on being cast-free. And great work, Sinead! :)

    ReplyDelete