Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Springtime dog walks: Stop to smell the flowers

Sinead with daisy flowers

Let's face it: Springtime is an ideal time for dog walks. The weather is warm but not too hot. The sun is bright but not blazing. The flowers are blooming. The grass is green. And everything seems fresh and new.

My neighborhood seems especially colorful this week, as the April rains are giving way to temperatures of 70 degrees or higher. If plants can bloom, they are blooming. And Sinead is more than happy to pose with them (with one exception).

Sinead the Boston terrier with her flower

Since I broke my leg, Sinead has been my exclusive walking partner. She doesn't mind the slow and steady pace at which I walk, and she can find ways to entertain herself when I need to stop and stretch. Sometimes, she finds a leaf or a flower to toss around in the air. Sometimes she finds an intoxicating scent to investigate. Sometimes she just rests and scans the horizon.

We're walking for about a mile a day now, and we tend to go along the same route each day, so I can scan it for uneven ground and other tripping hazards. There's one spot on our route at which we always stop for a minute or two.

Sinead the Boston terrier on a walk

Sinead is sitting right where I fell back in January. See that creeping puddle? It comes from sump pumps that drain into the gutter, and those are likely responsible for the ice that made me fall.

Walking past that spot reminds me of how far I've come in just a few short months. And seeing that neighborhood transformed from icy and white to green and lush makes me feel like the whole community is healing up too. Sinead and I take a few moments to breathe in the positivity before we keep on moving.

Sinead the Boston terrier with flowers

I often take my camera when we walk, and I like to snap shots of the pretty flowers with the pretty dog. But sometimes, the sun is a little bright for this dog. Despite my best attempts to get her to open her eyes, she won't always comply. No matter. I think she looks pretty cute even with closed peepers.

Thanks for looking! Do share a comment before you go, okay? Love to hear your thoughts. And join in the blog hop, as hosted by BlogPaws! You'll be glad you did.

10 comments:

  1. Love the pink vest and all the flowers. Very cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sinead is adorable, eyes open or not! It looks like you have some very lovely and relaxing walks together. There is nothing like getting out to enjoy the spring weather and beauty of everything coming to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear your doing better and walking about. Sinead is the best walking partner, and she's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you stop for anything else but flowers? Harley stops for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great that you are doing so well, and that you and Sinead stop to reflect, remember and celebrate how far you've come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely, colorful, walk with your best friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great partner for your walks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're lucky to have Sinead to walk with and that she is patient with you. Usually it's the otehr way around. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great that you have such a good walking partner while you recover! Great photos! I tried to get some good ones of Rita with some flowers today... mostly I got flowers and Rita looking a dozen different directions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever since meeting Sinead in person, our mom has been smitten. Beautiful photo of her and the flowers. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo and Cooper Murphy

    ReplyDelete