Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Shelter cat stories: Meet Izzy and her ulcers

Izzy the shelter cat

The shelter can be a stressful place for a cat, especially when that cat isn't feeling all that healthy. Cats with delicate immune systems can have a particularly difficult time in the shelter environment, because their out-of-whack bodies can go into attack mode due to the ongoing stress.

Take Izzy here. This girl seems to have some kind of history of immune system disorders, and while she's been in the shelter, she's been dealing with a very nasty rodent ulcer (much like those I've seen on Maggie) that just doesn't seem to be healing.

So she's here at the menagerie for a bit, taking a break from the stress of the shelter and using medications to heal that lip.

Izzy the cat in manspreading mode

Izzy has been here for just a few short days, so I don't know a lot about her yet. I do know that she seems awfully affectionate and bright. She chirps and cheeps whenever she sees me, and she runs to the door when she knows I'm going to leave, in order to entice me to stay.

Izzy spends a lot of time grooming, and I can't tell if that's due to some kind of underlying itchiness or just her fastidious nature. But she does manage to keep her Maine Coon fur absolutely free of any kind of debris. She could teach Lucy a thing or two about how to stay clean.

And, Izzy has a special feature. She's a polydactyl girl.

Izzy the cat has extra toes

She has five toes on each back foot, and something like eight or nine toes on each front foot. Her feet are absolutely massive due to the combination of extra toes and extra fur. I don't even know where to look!

Sweet Izzy will be here until her lip improves and the medical team can come up with a maintenance program to keep flares like this from happening again. I'm not sure how long that will take, given the severity of her lip. But I'm happy to give her all the space she needs in order to heal.

Foster cat fat lip

When she is better, she will need a home that is dedicated to any ongoing medical care she might require to keep her healthy. I'd love to start networking for her now on behalf of Willamette Humane Society. If you know of anyone who might want a young Maine Coon girl with a tough past, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Izzy is gorgeous, I hope she gets a forever home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Izzy! We hope her mouth heals quickly. Her paws are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Izzy is gorgeous. I certainly hope he mouth heals soon. I have a boy with polydactyl feet, but not this spectacular. Hope she finds a home soon. I have shared her story on my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/yael.benari

    Yael from Playing In Catnip here in South Salem

    ReplyDelete