Sunday, May 28, 2017

Tuxedo markings in dogs and cats: When your pets come in pairs

Maggie the cat with tuxedo markings

Maggie the cat decided to show off her pretty tuxedo markings and bright green eyes on this sunny Sunday morning. And I'm reminded of how she became part of the menagerie, more than 10 years ago.

At the time, I had my very first Boston terrier, and I thought it would be fun to have a matched set of animals with the same coloring. That meant I needed a bicolor cat with only black and white, preferably with white socks and a white chest.

I was sort of musing over the idea, without any real plans to add to my little family, when I was notified that my local animal shelter had one lone kitten that needed a home. Her mother needed spay surgery, but the team couldn't do the surgery until the kitten had a home away from momma's milk bar.

So Maggie came home to stay. She was a wonderful companion to my Boston terrier, and they spent a great deal of cuddly time together. When he left, I had no matched set for years. Until this one came along.

Sinead the Boston terrier

Sinead also has these perfect bicolor markings, so she and Maggie are matching. But, Maggie and Sinead have a fairly complex relationship. Maggie startles easily, and Sinead is often moving fast, so their pacing doesn't quite synch. And, Sinead can be particular about who she cuddles with. She will grudgingly accept a snuggle from Popoki, Fergus and Lucy, but Maggie isn't an accepted partner. I'm not sure why.

But it doesn't much matter. These two do spend quality time playing together, watching for birds through the screen door together and otherwise enjoying life together. And they sure look cute doing it.

I have one more face to share with you for this Sunday Selfie series, as hosted by The Cat On My Head. It's foster cat, Izzy. I shared her story last week, but I know many readers missed it as they were busy unpacking from BlogPaws.

At the time, I had thought that Izzy's lip would improve quickly with the medications I was giving. But I'm sad to say she isn't a ton better.

Izzy the cat in her selfie

Her whiskers and furs are still gorgeous and fluffy. But that lip is still red, sore and very swollen. Izzy remains very cheerful, and she is the most cuddly cat I've ever encountered. She simply can't stop snuggling with hubby and I. But we are worried about what's happening with this lip of hers.

Izzy has another checkup with the clinic team on Tuesday to discuss next steps. Please keep your fingers crossed that we can come to a solution for her.

That's it for my selfies this week. What did you think? Leave me a note in the comments, won't you?

And be sure to check out the other posts in the hop. You'll be glad you did.


14 comments:

  1. I just love Maggie's tuxedo markings. It's neat how the white starts with a narrow strip and then goes all around her nose down to her chest. She's adorable and so is Sinead.

    I sure hope Izzy's lip isn't anything too serious but I can see how it's worrisome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the tuxie duo and Izzy is gorgeous and we are sending tons of purrs her way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Izzy is precious. I hope you can find some answers for her. Love your duo of tuxies too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your matched set.
    Wishing Izzy so the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love that Maggie and Sinead are a matching set (even if their relationship is a bit complex). :)

    Sending much love, purrs and prayers for Izzy. We have our paws and fingers crossed that the lip thing is not too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely when our pals get on, and they seem to show no regard for colour or race, unlike some humans. Great selfies from Maggie and Sinead, and we hope that Izzy gets well very soon.
    Purrs, ERin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet matched set! We have a contrasting set here. Rufus the Red's orange fur is beautifully set off by Mickey Mouser's gray tabby stripes.
    I hope there's an easy solution for Izzy's problem.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pair!

    Hope Izzy's lip gets better soon

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tuxies ! Hope Izzy starts to heal up !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Selfies of all of you :)
    Looks like Lizzy has an allergic reaction. Hope they find the cause soon. Healing Pawkisses for a speedy recovery <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. The thing about tuxies is that they come all dressed up! Purrs for Izzy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. All your pets are adorable. I hope Izzy can get a medicine to help her,that ulcer looks painful. Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog about the loss of Snowball.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our paws are crossed for Izzy! Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh I hope Izzy is OK and it's nothing serious.

    ReplyDelete