Sunday, June 4, 2017

Leash walks for Oregon cats

Popoki the cat on her leash

Cats love to be with their humans. Don't let the critics misinform you. No matter how many times people use words like "aloof" and "loner" to describe the average cat, I have yet to meet a feline that doesn't seem happier when in the company of loving, caring, attentive people.

In the past, summertime would depress me a bit, because it meant I spent more time away from my cats. I live on the deck and in the yard in the off hours during the summertime, and since the majority of my cats are indoor-only, they couldn't come.

Leashes changed all that for me. By putting my cats on leashes, I could feel comfortable having them in the safe and secure backyard, where I spend my time. I can ensure that they're not going to be attacked or startled, and I can spend time with them.

To say that they walk is a bit of an exaggeration. Popoki here prefers to lounge on her leash, rather than walking. She picks a spot she likes, and she stays put.

But it does seem to tire her out a little. She has so much to observe when she's outside, and I know it puts her little brain to the test. When she comes inside after a walk, she heads right up the cat stairs to her perch for a rest.

Popoki the cat in her perch

She's out on her lounger, rather than in her bed or the cat-scratching house, because she's a little hot. But she loves the view from her perch, both of me and of the neighborhood, so she spends a lot of time up here when she's not in the catio or on her leash.

In that perch, Popoki also has a great view of all of the flowers blooming in the yard, like this one.

Pink peony in Oregon

I don't know if she enjoys them as much as I do. I'd like to think she does.

Thanks, as always, to the kind folks at The Cat On My Head for motivating me to write up some cat words on a sunny Sunday morning. We love the selfies hop, and we try never to miss it!

Have you joined up? You should! It's tons of fun. But before you go, do leave me a comment, won't you? I read all of your words to Popoki, and she loves the praise.


14 comments:

  1. I am glad you found a way to enjoy the outdoors and kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so wonderful that you've found away to enjoy the summer together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice that Popoki and the other kitties can enjoy some outdoor time with you in the summer and also enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. Annie and Pierrot have been going out on our balcony lately, and like Popoki, don't sleep out there but rather stay engaged watching and listening to everything going on. That seems to make them more tired when they come in.

    Popoki looks so pretty in the sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a beautiful kitty. I'm glad you have found a way to spend time with them safely.
    Yael from PlayingInCatnip.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love that perch! I really want to build a high place for Beau to hide/sleep in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore that your fur family can join you outside. We do love to be with our peeps. Nothing makes me happier than to play with mom while she weeds. Keeps mom on her toes. MOL

    Shoko

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Popoki likes being outside with you, safely on her leash! That is really, really special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a nice place where you can observe everything, Popoki :D Great Selfie too! Pawkisses for a Great Day and a happy walk :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to go outside on my leash and explore the yard. The mom says I walk her...not the other way around. ;) ~Wally

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing and reading about Popoki is one of the highlights of the selfie for us here. She is so very her own cat living how she feels comfortable and you embrace that and so a wonderful friendship exists.
    Purrs, ERin

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have the catio, of course, but Mom is trying to get some of us in harnesses and leashes so we can go for walks and shed a pound or two. Cooper Murphy is turning into Gigantor the Cat. That perch looks like heaven. If we had that, Astrid would probably never come down, and she'd make Mom get a ladder to feed her. Thanks for hopping. Sorry we've been missing. Our peeps have been doing lots of biking and swimming, which cuts into visiting time. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo and Cooper Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely selfie! Looks like a great place to hang out.

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete