Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Shelter cat stories: Learning more about your foster

Foster cat and her human

When you bring a foster cat into your home, the information you have on that cat's past is often sketchy or altogether absent. In the worst of cases, these cats came into the shelter because they were found homeless. They were making do on the streets somehow, and no one really knows how they got there. In the best situations, you get a page or two of notes about the cat's history, written by someone who is upset at having to leave the cat behind. Those notes can't tell you everything you need to know.

So you bring these cats into your home and hope they'll be loving, kind and nondestructive. And as a foster parent, you try to find out everything you can about these cats, so an adoptive family will know just what they're getting into when they choose your cat.

I'm going through this process with Izzy here. I know so much more about her than I did when she came into my home 2 weeks ago. But I have a lot left to learn.

Izzy the cat walking on her leash

Izzy was surrendered by her owner under very difficult circumstances, so I don't know a lot about the life she's used to. But it seems like she once had access to the outdoors. She tries to open the window in her room to get out, and when I put her on a leash for a walk, she immediately started moving at a fast clip. Most cats pancake if they've never been outside. Since Izzy didn't do that, I'm assuming she once had access to the great outdoors.

Izzy has met both my dogs and my cats, and while her medical situation and need for strict diet control don't allow for long meetings, she's handled brief introductions just fine. That seems to suggest she has been exposed to both types of creatures. She could probably handle a multi-pet home as a result.

This cat also has a lot to say.

Izzy the cat having a conversation

She chirps and cheeps and trills from the moment she sees you until the moment you leave. I can't tell if someone used to talk back to her, but she seems to like it when her calls are responded to. Anyone who adopts her must like this sort of thing, as I don't see it stopping.


When Izzy's lip is better and she is no longer on her big dose of pred, she'll head back to the shelter in order to find a home. And I will use all of my notes to write up her online profile, so she can find the right home. And I might spend time with her at adoption events, so I can talk with potential adopters about her and what she needs.

She should, in theory, be ready for adoption in about 2 weeks. I'd love to get the word out now. This foster family will miss Izzy, and we want the best for her. If you know of anyone in Oregon who might want her, send them my way.

And if you've ever wanted to make a meaningful contribution to the lives of cats in your community, consider becoming a foster family and help cats like Izzy. They need us.

Don't forget to join the blog hop, as hosted by BlogPaws! You'll love it. 

4 comments:

  1. Izzy is a beauty, how kind of you to foster her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your caring and observant fostering of Izzy. Your love and care, and the knowledge you gain will go such a long way in helping her find her forever home. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Izzy is such a beautiful kitty! I am so thankful for everyone who can manage to be a foster parent for pets. It is a really taxing job that I've never been able to do. Fosters do so much good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Izzy is in good hands with you. The information you are learning will help to find her the purrrrrfect home.

    ReplyDelete