Thursday, June 8, 2017

Strange foster cat parent outfits

Sweatshirt with cat in pocket

Oh, the things we foster parents will do for out kittens. We'll sacrifice our cleanliness, our allergies, our spare rooms and our sleep to help these littles to succeed in the world. And if we're truly crazy, we'll sacrifice our fashion sense, too.

Let's look at this sweatshirt.

A dear friend of mine gave it to me to help me with my current foster kittens like Satchmo here. It's designed to help you carry a little hissy-spitty kitty around with ease. The little kitty fits inside a front pocket, so you can take said kitty where ever you go.

Small kitty in sweatshirt

That pocket is covered with fake fur, so kitty stays warm. And there's a drawstring, so the pocket can be closed tight to keep kitty from escaping.

This shirt also helps the foster parent feel like a kitty. Note the extra padding, so the parent can feel like he/she has paws. And the hood, on the small sizes, has cat ears.

There are two drawstrings off that hood that end in little balls one could use for play. But my hissy/spitties don't play quite yet. We'll see how they feel in a bit.

This sweatshirt seems super silly, I'll admit. But seriously. This makes socializing kittens a ton easier. The little ones feel safe and secure, and since you're in a sort of costume, people come to talk with you more frequently. And that makes socializing kittens a little easier.

I've worn this a time or two with the kittens while walking the dogs, and I've had nothing but good experiences. I may look a little loopy, but the kittens get socialized. And in the end, that's all that matters.

Would you wear something like this? Leave me a note in the comments and let me know!

10 comments:

  1. I love your foster outfit - and it makes a lot of sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean, Thanks for coming by my blog. I love your outfit. How do you keep the little darlings in the pocket without them getting out, though?
    Yael from PlayingInCatnip.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a little drawstring you can use to cinch the pocket closed, and that helps. But these guys also don't move much. When they get scared, which is often, they hunker down in that pocket. They even sleep in there!

      Delete
  3. If it works and t helps keep kittens safe it is all fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck yeah I'd wear one. I want one. Where'd you get it. Perfect outfit for socializing. Awesome Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is adorable! And if it works... That's even better.

    We fostered puppies for a couple of years. The strangest thing I ever remember doing was putting a puppy crate on top of Honey's crate so we could comfort a crying puppy at night, from our bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!! I'd love to foster kittens ... but even if I can't ... I still want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truthfully not quite my style but ya gotta do what's best for the kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is too cute. I would wear it if it came in plus sizes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cute! I don't think I'd wear it - I'm a huge introvert and don't like to call attention to myself out in the world. I'd totally wear it at home though. :) If only I wasn't allergic to cats....

    ReplyDelete